March 21, 2013

A Visit To The Library


Over the past week I did no crafting whatsoever, and I spent relatively little time on the computer searching for crafty DIY ideas. Instead I spent most of the week reading - something I don't seem to do enough of anymore.

A few weeks ago, while trying to download a library book to my Kindle, I discovered my library card had expired. I thought once you signed up for a card, you were in for life. I had no idea these things had an expiration date. So, last Monday I paid a visit to my local library, got my card renewed and checked out a few books while I was there.

I opted for Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem, Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck, and Joyce Carol Oates' In Rough Country. All three books are actually collections of essays written by the authors. Two of them - the Joan Didion and Nora Ephron books - were on the recommended reading lists of a couple of creative writing classes I've taken in the past. I've also been wanting to read some Joyce Carol Oates as well and decided to pick up her book of essays.

So far I've read most of Slouching Towards Bethlehem. This collection was written in the 60s and gives the reader an idea of what the atmosphere was like back then, particularly in California. I Feel Bad About My Neck is about women and aging, and In Rough Country is collection of essays and reviews of a variety of authors whose works Oates has analyzed.

I also downloaded Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler. I just love noir. I have the book The Big Sleep by Chandler and had a hard time getting through it. Farewell, My Lovely so far is riddled with blatant racial stereotypes, which are rather off putting. I'm not sure if I'll get through this one. I suppose it was a sign of the times back then, but still hard for me to overlook.

Writing is another one of my creative endeavors. In order to become a better writer you need to read, read, read, and I think I have enough to keep me busy for a little while.




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment