March 29, 2013

Book Review: A Cottage By The Sea

Throughout the month of January I had been reading A Cottage By The Sea by Ciji Ware on the recommendation of my aunt. It's a modern day romance with a time travel twist to it. The book wasn't bad, but I'll admit it took me a while to get through it.

Blythe Barton Stowe is the protagonist in this story. The book begins with the finalization of a messy divorce from her famous Hollywood director (and cheating bastard) husband, Christopher Stowe. Blythe wants to get as far away as possible from the spotlight and lay low for awhile, so she goes to Cornwall, England. She ends up at Barton Hall, a place that family lore has led her to believe once belonged to her ancestors. There she meets hunk-a-burnin' love, Lucas Teague, the current owner of Barton Hall and a man with his own set of issues. But, as I said, he's a hunk-a-burnin' love, so of course sparks fly between them.

There is also a time-travel element to this story and it involves the large genealogy chart located in the library of Barton Hall. It seems that whenever Blythe touches a name on the chart, she is transported to the 1700s and gets caught up in the family drama of that time. I'm a fan of historical fiction, so I enjoyed that part of the storyline. Many questions arise with regard to her potential ancestors as well as a mystery. Will she find the answers? And how does Lucas Teague fit into the story?  I won't spill the beans, so you'll have to read it to find out.

I will say this. For me, the story seemed to drag at times, which is why it took me a few weeks to finish it. At one point I decided that I wouldn't bother reading on, but I changed my mind. I'm glad I did. It really started to pick up about halfway through and then it seemed like I couldn't put the book down. Overall, I gave this book 3 stars on Good Reads. If you like romance and historical fiction, you might want to give this one a try.



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment