March 21, 2013

Evolution of the Bee - Part Two


When we left off in my last post, the bee was temporarily banished to the closet. While the bee waited patiently to be completed, I spent some time figuring how to finish this project. I decided I would turn it into a decorative potholder - one that will never get used of course. I worked hard on this thing and I certainly don't want to risk staining it up with tomato soup or refried beans.

I went on a search for the perfect backing fabric and lucked out with a great black and white floral print that tied into the vintage look of the bee motif. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is  that I’ve never sewn anything before, so not only was this my first official embroidery project, it was also my first hand-sewn project.


With the guidance of my mother’s sewing experience, I managed to cut out and hand sew together all of the pieces that made up this potholder.




Then came time to add the binding, and, again, the bee was placed on the back burner for another year. Actually, just 2 weeks shy of a full year. Last week, I added the binding around the edge of the potholder to finally complete this project.


So, what did I learn from this 2-year long saga of the bee?
  • Well, I learned that I really like embroidery. It’s relaxing and challenging all at the same time.  
  • I found out that my favorite stitch (so far) is the French knot.
  • Even though this took me an eternity to complete, the sense of accomplishment feels the same as if I would have finished it within a couple weeks or months.
  • I also found out that I enjoyed hand sewing so much that I'm now eager to embark on some sewing projects.
The embroidered busy bee is one project that I can cross off my list of UFOs (unfinished objects). Now...what to embroider next?



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment